Friday, April 23, 2010

Interview with John Powers

Interview with John Powers
CFO of Chelsea Milling Company


Eagle Eye: What do you manage as CFO of Chelsea Milling, maker of Jiffy Mixes?
Mr. Powers: As CFO, I am responsible for the company's finances and accounting activities. This includes paying for the ingredients and materials the company uses to make the Jiffy Mix products, paying our employees' salaries and wages, collection the money for our customers for the products we sell, and keeping track of all of the information to prepare the reports about the company's business. I also help manage the company's insurance and employee benefit plans.

Eagle Eye: What do you do on an average day?
Mr. Powers: Every morning I use the computer to check the company's bank accounts to make sure all of the company's transactions are up to date and no unexpected events have occured. I talk with the people in the accounting department and ask if they have any questions or if I can be of help on anything. I attend meetings to talk about many different things the company is doing or planning so we can continue to be successful. I will also work on preparing the financial statements and writing the reports on how the company's business is doing.

Eagle Eye: How did you work your way to this position?
Mr. Powers: I studied business and accounting in college and became a certified public accountant (CPA). As a CPA working for an accounting firm, I had the opportunity to audit, work with, and learn about many different companies organizations. I then went to work as the CFO for several companies that manufactured all kinds of different products and earned an MBA degree. I joined Chelsea Milling in 2002 when the company's existing CFO was preparing to retire.

Eagle Eye: What is your favorite part of the job?
Mr. Powers: Working for a company that makes great products that people all over the United States enjoy, a company that truly cares about its employees and their families, has always been very environmentally focused, and actively serves the community. I also really enjoy seeing all the students and visitors that come to Chelsea Milling throughout the year to learn about the company and tour the operations.

Eagle Eye: What is your favorite Jiffy product?
Mr. Powers:
My favorite Jiffy products, besides the Corn Muffin mix, are the Pancake and the new Sugar Cookie mixes.