Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Debate

Debate is a new elective taught by Beth, the 7th grade LA/SS teacher. But what do they do in debate? Emerson Eagle Eye gets the inside scoop by interviewing Elijah, Emily, Kate, Nadina, and Beth.

Questions for the pupils:

Why did you choose Debate?
Kate: my parents want me to be a lawyer.
Emily: I want to practice arguing
Nadina: I like arguing and I like being right.

What are some topics that you enjoyed discussing?
Emily: Country life vs. city life.
Nadina: Labor Unions being positive for the United States or not.

What do you do most in Debate?
Emily: Argue.
Elijah: Research for our speeches.

Roughly how many kids are in Debate?
Beth: 22

What brought you to the idea to make an elective called Debate?
Beth: I debated myself, in highschool and college.

What will happen during the Elective 'Hot movies, Cold war'?
Beth:We will watch movies and discuss the cultural diffrences between the East and the West.

Are you thinking of doing the Elective 'Debate' again?
Beth: Yes, it will be a 2nd trimester elective as well as an after-school club.

So now, are you hungry for more? You can join Debate class next year or join the after-school club for another chance to debate.

By: Schirin